Saturday, August 20, 2011

The pants project

Here is the situation. While I was in Thailand my favorite pair of skinny jeans got a big fat tear in them. About 2.5 inches long and totally in an area that would shred right out (and look worse) if I tried to patch it. 


Last night it came to me in a dream (or really, in the minutes before I fell asleep) I could crop them and use the cut off fabric to turn them into "riding" style pants. I used these as inspiration for the shape and look of the inset. 


Let me show you what we were working with. 
A tear right on my inner thigh. Seriously?! Such a bummer
I did patch the hole with iron on denim and then stitched it down around the edges. It looked pretty terrible like I suspected it would but remember, I have a plan to cover that up!

So I took a couple of attempts to hand draft a nice shape for the inset and finally landed on this one which I liked a lot. 
It follows the general shape of the inspiration image and covers the hole quite nicely. 
Mirror that on the other side and I have a pair of riding pants that look great with my boots!


So cute I think I'll wear them to Bill Maher tonight!  

No comments:

Post a Comment