Thursday, June 16, 2011

Hooked on Hexagons

Here is something about me, I very much dislike going to Ikea, it's crowded, they route you through their store to sell you things you didn't come for, people are wandering aimlessly about the place (getting in my way). If I sound like a grumpy old lump, I probably am, which is why when I have to go, I enter through the exit, grab the item I need and leave. Last weekend I summoned up the courage (and took my sister with me) and went to Ikea with one item on my mind-


I've had my eye on these HÖNEFOSS mirrors since they first came out and have been lurking impatiently around blog land for someone to post an interesting project with them. No such luck, I guess my impatience to create won out over wanting someone else to go first, SO I created an "art installation" on my dining room closet door with the mirrors and three colors of felt. My boyfriend say's its his favorite thing in the apartment now! (Which is made doubly amazing by the fact that I actually created a stereo/record area just for him! hahaha!) 


Here's how it all went down:
First, start off with closet doors that haven't been painted, even though we have lived in this apartment for over a year (shear laziness I tells ya) 
Originally all walls, trim, and ceilings in the apartment were this color. ugh!
Second, paint them white and wait a week to go to Ikea (this is important so you can appreciate how much better they look white)
Third. Buy mirrors from Ikea
No photo available (photo simulation of how I look at Ikea)

Fourth buy felt from JoAnn, this step was made even better by the fact that the felt was on sale, I got three 1/3 yard cuts for $3 total. (No photo for this step)

Fifth, using one of the HÖNEFOSS mirrors as a template cut felt with rotary cutter and craft mat. (Photo not available)

Sixth, lay out the projected pattern on the ground. Don't go at it all willy-nilly you won't like what you get.
The mess is helpful for creation, trust me
Seventh find the center of your pattern and the center of your closet and start hanging. A small level will be required. To hang the felt I used double stick tape around every edge and in the center of each felt hexagon.
Eighth, finish up, stand back and be proud of what you did (At least thats what I did 8th)

Ninth, take the opportunity to brag about your work in blog land!

Let me know what you think, I think it's pretty cool. I also think there are so many great potential applications for these mirrors, maybe as a cool honeycomb in a bee themed nursery, or a headboard, or an all over wall treatment. Go nuts people, hexagons are hot!

UPDATE:
I added more felt on the opposite closet door. 



No comments:

Post a Comment