Friday, June 3, 2011

Father's Day project

I don't know where you live, but in San Francisco where I live the weather report is saying we will have record breaking rainfall so I'm planning my projects accordingly!


First off I need to finish my fathers day quilt. It just needs to be tied off and the bottom edge needs finished. I got an email from pink chalk fabrics that had just the PERFECT fabric and I had to make something for my dad with it. This quilt was inspired by my father's love of gardening and the truck he and I spent about 6 years rebuilding. 
The truck in process
 Me and my truck back in 2007 (I also made the dress)
My parents' puppy in the bed of my truck (she's a huge dog now!)

The quilt is my first attempt at solo quilting (other then square patch quilts which are simple). I never considered making anything more complicated then a square patch quilt until just a few weeks ago my Aunt Dawn, who is an expert quilter, invited me over for a quilting bee with my cousins (or a stitch and bitch as my boyfriend deemed it, funny man) I learned so much and it gave me the courage to try something new on my own. I found this free pattern online at Lizzy house that I really liked but I didn't have the variety of fabrics that she suggests so I made modified versions of section "C" and let my quilt be very random in the placement of each piece. 
 The truck fabric that inspired the project, it even has a dog in the back of the truck!
As you can see there is not a clear "pattern" to my layout, but I like it!

I made a top band out of fabric strips that say, "Greet the day with a song." Something my dad does well!

I love how this quilt has turned out. Now that I have learned so many quilters tricks from my aunt I feel like I might tackle another quilting project soon. I hope my dad likes his quilt! (and that he's not a reader of my blog or else the cat's out of the bag! Oops!)

1 comment:

  1. Dad is going to love this blanket! Can't wait to see his reaction. But, how is anything I can get him going to live up to this?

    ReplyDelete