Thursday, June 9, 2011

Why didn't I think of that?!

I don't know about you, but sometimes when I see a DIY that seems just too darn obvious I have this "Oh DUH!" moment; and then am truly annoyed that I didn't think of it first. That is the case with today's project. I have been lusting after etsy projects similar to this one for a while now but don't have the budget right now to buy one. Enter the blogger behind Our First Nest, (a blog that you should be reading for all sorts of on the cheap DIY advice) who cleverly came up with this brilliant tutorial. I'm only upset that I didn't think of it first!


Well my boyfriend and I are just a couple of left coast kids so I had to make one for our beloved California. 


In order to do this project for free I selected a canvas that I have already painted over twice for a third go round. The first attempt being an ill conceived try at cherry blossoms, the second is seen below.
Don't fret- I took the little bird off first.

First I painted the whole canvas with two light coats of white acrylic paint
Then, between coats, while the paint was drying I created a California stencil. Now, I don't know how most people do this step, (probably with a printer). I just size my image to the exact size I want it to be on my computer screen, put a paper against the screen and trace it lightly with a pencil. (I wish I had a third hand so I could take a photo of this step) After it is traced I cut it out with an exacto knife
The state all cut out
After the state was cut out and the paint was dry I drew out 2" wide stripes across my 10" canvas and traced California on the left side. Then filled everything in with paint.
For the finishing touch, I added a heart to where we live now, San Francisco, and a second heart to where we used to live, (and where we hope to live again) San Diego.  


Here is the finished project in it's new home on our living room shelves. 

The whole project only took a few hours and it is absolutely my favorite attempt at painting on this canvas painting project so far. I hope if you like this project you might give it a try with your home state!

EDIT (later that day)

Then; in what can only be described as a state of crafting induced euphoria, I decided to take my new found skills and make an ampersand painting too!

I heart ampersand 

1 comment:

  1. Love your painting! So glad you found inspiration, like I did! It's such a versatile project, different colors and states, (or ampersands)!

    ReplyDelete