Wednesday, May 4, 2011

A hot day in the city

Friendly readers. I'm taking a break from sewing today, while I wait for my fabric order to arrive! 

Today it was quite hot in San Francisco and according to the weather report it's not cooling off any time soon. If you're anything like me; on a hot day you like a nice cold fruit smoothie, and personally, I like a scoop of granola on top of that. Well today I used the last of my store bought granola, and with no desire to leave the house I made my own!

It's so good, I don't know if I can stop eating it

I thought I'd share my recipe, created by me after reading quite a few recipes that all were far to large portions or had way to much sugar or dried fruit (not my favorite thing) in them for my taste.


Honey Vanilla Granola

2 Cups     Rolled Oats
1/4 Cup   Oat flour 
A dash of cinnamon
4 TBS       Honey
1 TBS       Brown Sugar
2 TBS       Melted butter or vegetable oil
2 TBS       Hot water
1/2 tsp     Vanilla extract
1/4 tsp     Salt

Preheat your oven to 300
To make oat flour, wiz 1/4 cup of rolled oats in your food processor or blender until it looks like a semi fine flour.

In a medium sized bowl stir together the rolled oats, oat flour and a dash of cinnamon and set aside. 

In a small sauce pan, melt the butter (or warm the vegetable oil), add the brown sugar, salt and the wet ingredients stirring until the sugar and salt have dissolved.  Drizzle this mixture into your dry ingredients stirring until completely combined. Pour onto a cookie sheet and firmly pack the mixture together across the sheet (I made mine approximately 1/2" thick), cook in the oven at 300 degrees for 30 minutes. 

After the first 30 minutes break the packed mixture into clusters and stir spreading your granola across the cookie sheet. Bake for approximately 45 more minutes or until the granola is golden brown, stirring every 20 minutes. 



Allow the granola to cool, it will crisp up nicely once it has cooled completely. 

Store in an air tight container. 

Enjoy!



1 comment:

  1. Just finished making this yummy granola! Came out a little dark because of my oven, but tastes really good none the less! Fulfilled a craving for something sweet and crunchy.

    ReplyDelete